Monday, April 30, 2007

The Potty Saga Continues

Since my last post regarding the remodeling work in my house, I’ve had to make a few more decisions. For anyone who thinks they can do a bathroom remodel in pieces, think again! One thing leads to another. If you can live with an “eclectic” piecemeal look, great—try it. If you like things to match, consider doing it all at once. That is, if you can afford to do it all at once. I had originally just wanted to replace my shower surround because it had rotting spots. Well, in order to do a good job that would truly raise the value of my home (and not drive me nuts every time I looked at the color scheme), I had to also move to fix the drywall, beadboard, and trim; add new tile floor (which had to be done because of water damage over the years); replace the vanity and marble top; and add new fixtures, lighting, and medicine cabinet. The only thing I’m not changing is the toilet (yet) and the fan/overhead lighting. I feel incredibly fortunate to have budgeted in enough of a fiscal cushion to allow for the additional changes. I better be sure to take lots of long luxurious baths in this new space because I’m not going to be able to afford to do anything else luxurious for quite some time. I’ll need to work summer school from now until I retire.


Also, I never realized how difficult it is to get the timing right for a remodel job in a one-bathroom house. There have been many jokes about peeing in the shower and using a 5 gallon pail. It is a significant problem to be without a functional shower or sink for any long period of time, but I can make do in a pinch. I can certainly live without the mirror and full lighting. I can live without electric. I CAN’T live without a working toilet for 24 hours (which is going to have to happen with installation of a new tile floor). I’ve had points in my life when I’ve used outhouses and the good old woods, but I’m just way too old and citified for that now. I am most grateful to my friends and neighbors who have offered their bathrooms for my use. Ah, the simple joys of civilized existence. I’m also certain my dad will roll his eyes if he reads this.


For now, I can be sure that the end is in sight. Soon I’ll only have the aesthetic painting to worry about. I think of how fortunate I am to own my home. I don’t have to ask a landlord for any changes or updates. I don’t share my bathroom with 6 other people. I don’t live in a shelter where using the bathroom is a public event. I am a very blessed person.

No comments: