Monday, February 5, 2007

Snow Day

It is currently -15 on the old thermometer here in the Madison area, with wind chills estimated in the -20/-30s. Although official school district policy is to call off school only if the forecast for the wind chill approaches -50 for the entire day (according to the Web site), school was indeed, cancelled this morning. I hope all of my students and colleagues will have a safe and restful day.


What do teachers do on Snow/Cold Days? Well, first I do a very selfish happy dance. Then I think about the reality of the situation. I’m still getting paid for the day. A snow day means that I can actually plan curriculum, think about my craft, and breathe. I don’t just go back to bed. I pour another cup of coffee, throw a ball or two to the girls, and consider what work I should do first. Yes, the TV is on. Yes, an extra movie might get watched (uh, prepped for my film class), an extra meal made, and an extra trade rag read. But the point is, I am much more productive and reflective on these days than if I were in the classroom. When we have inclement weather, many parents keep their children at home where they are safe and warm – that is if they have the luxury to do so with heat in their homes, child care, food, etc.. I would certainly do the same if I had children and the resources to keep them safe. But, that means attendance in the schools is spotty. For my high school classes, it is virtually impossible to move forward with the planned lesson/activity because so much of what I do is sequenced and scaffolded. I usually have to resort to a backup (uh, entertainment) plan so the high number of absent students won’t be left behind. I have been teaching long enough to have those plans readily available, but it’s certainly not best practice.

It is a wise decision on the part of district administrators to consider the system of education along with the health and well-being of the children and the staff. A wise decision, indeed.

Yet, I also worry about those children and families who rely upon the schools as their source of warmth, security, and food during the day. Will those children be safe and supervised at home? Will their caregivers need to forfeit a day’s wages to stay home with them?

Are we asking these questions as a society?

2 comments:

k8 said...

Hey there!

The UW didn't cancel classes, which I think is absolutely ridiculous considering how much time students have to spend outside walking to classes. I canceled my class. I hate getting behind, but I don't think it is worth making students go out in these conditions.

Also, when I hear the warnings about not having skin touch metal b/c it will stick, I wonder how long I can be outside before this holds true for my skin and my wire-framed glasses.

Denise said...

I'm glad you cancelled class. There's more to "learn" in places of personal safety and comfort than in the cold hallowed halls of the UW. As far as the warnings go: Just don't stick your tongue or a wet runny nose on a metal pole. And keep the animals inside no matter how much they are farting :). That last gem of wisdom is from Tillie.