Monday, January 8, 2007

You Must Read This Book!

You have to read this book! If you have ever read (and loved) classics like Pippi Longstocking, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, or The Secret Garden, you will thoroughly enjoy Ida B by Katherine Hannigan. The narrator's young perspective on school, creative freedom, and play are refreshingly and authentically told. While some of the vocabulary may be beyond the voice of a precocious 4th-grader, the world view and portrayal of inner pain, anxiety, and anger are not. Hannigan took me back to my own childhood. Through Ida B. I recalled my own desire to block out the world's disappointments. To find ways to soften my youthful loneliness with tree friends and drooling dogs in a world that allowed me no control or certainty. Any parent who has a son or daughter with a creative, free (or angry) spirit needs to share this book with his/her child.

No comments: