Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Life is Good

I had the most wonderful day. It started out with needing to acquire an official transcript from the UW Registrar’s Office in order to meet a deadline in my Human Resources office. I drove into Madison early to pop in and pick up the document. Arriving 5 minutes before the office opened, I read a sign on the door that stated the office was closed until 9:30 AM for a staff meeting. I was ready to scream! I had even read the Web site last night for the office’s hours to double check my timing. I walked down the hall and caught someone – a lovely woman in an orange sweater. I must have had a seriously panicked look on my face when I asked for help. Of course, I also played the teacher card – needing to be in my classroom in 20 minutes. She was soooooo gracious and walked me through the back offices, sat me down at the official station to make the transcript request, and asked another secretary to help me once the doc. printed. I rarely have experienced such support at the Big UW (except in my phenomenal graduate program – SLIS). My karma was offering positive payback for me today. So, whoever that woman was, I wish her much joy and peace.

On top of that comforting beginning to the day, my students were absolutely lovely in their curiosity, focus on topics, and generous support of each other throughout the whole day. Even the couple of students I had issues with yesterday were pleasant and respectful. My co-teacher (pre-service teacher) from the UW is doing a great job of engaging her students, holding them accountable, and maintaining a sense of humor throughout all the detail overload of the first days of the semester. Snaps to Kimber!

I found good movies to rent at the vid. store for the next week – Black Dahlia, Little Miss Sunshine, The Illusionist, and The Devil Wears Prada. That should be a good mix of relaxation through the cold weather expected for the rest of the week and weekend.

My girls were thrilled to see me as I walked in the door. I have a great book to finish. And, best of all – I don’t have any work for school to do tonight.

Life is just damn good today!

1 comment:

k8 said...

Yay! Great teaching days are the best! And double luck with the good experience with the bureaucracy!! I say play the teacher card all of the time - you deserve it!

Oh - and those flowers are very pretty:-)