Sunday, August 10, 2008

Vampire Reading

I just finished the fourth book in the Stephenie Meyer vampire series. The first book (Twilight) had me intrigued by all the hype. The second (New Moon) had me hooked. The third (Eclipse) made me angry because two of the male characters were rather abusive in my eyes. The fourth has me hungry for more. The problems I had with the third book were resolved in the fourth by character development (maturation). Plus, Meyer shifted her narrative voice in the fourth which allowed more of a sympathetic attachment to one of the players. I just couldn't put it down and fought with the urge to read the last chapter right away to know the resolution. In the wee hours of the morning, I was not disappointed by the closure. There's plenty of room for more. The book also presented interesting twists on vampire mythology, genetics, power structures, and conflict resolution. I hope Meyer is sitting at her computer 24/7.

1 comment:

k8 said...

I haven't read any of them, but I have to say that you are the first person I've heard say anything positive about the latest book. I wonder why that is?